I’ve over indulged. Again. My excuse: I’ve been busy, it was Easter, lots of food on the go, needing a quick sugar fix and no time to bake. The rush has calmed and so I made these SUPER SUPER HEALTHY Gluten and Dairy Free Cookies. I also challenged myself to keep the cost down, so made these with only 5 ingredients.
Don’t get me wrong, these don’t taste like the cookies you’d buy from a bakery, BUT these are guilt free and tasty and I have since made another batch because they were eaten so quickly.
Ingredients for Gluten and Dairy Free Cookies
1 large ripe banana
175g gluten free oats
75g desiccated coconut
50g honey (plus a little extra for drizzling)
50g coconut milk (or almond/oat/soy)
Makes about 12
Line and grease 2 baking sheets
Pre heat the oven to 190oC
1) With the back of a fork mash the banana and pop into a large bowl.
2) THIS NEXT STEP IS OPTIONAL. Take 125g of the oats and briefly pulse in a food processor/nutri bullet until flour like.
3) Pour the 125g of pulsed oats and 75g of “unpulsed” oats, desiccated coconut, honey and milk into the large bowl with the banana and mix really well until everything is combined. You might want to get your hands in there at the end to make it into one big ball. (If it looks a little dry and needs a little more liquid add a tad more milk until it all comes together nicely – not too much though!)
4) Now make golf ball sized balls of the batter in your hands and then squash them between your palms until flat. (You may want to press with your fingers too so they are even) I like mine quite regimented, so once I had placed them on the baking sheet, I pressed the rim of an appropriate sized glass around them to cut off the edges and make them a perfect circle. But this is completely unnecessary – just biscuit vanity.
5) Place in the oven for about 19 mins, keep an eye on them, they are done when they brown on top. Take out of the oven and leave to cool on the tray, drizzle with a little honey and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
6) Devour the gluten and dairy free cookies without guilt! Boom!