Gluten Free Raspberry & Walnut Cake
120g gluten free flour
80g gluten free oats (or gf oat flour)
1 tsp gluten free baking powder
180g unsalted butter (room temperature)
190g caster sugar
2 medium eggs (at room temperature)
1 tsp vanilla essence
90ml whole milk
200g fresh raspberries
75g roughly chopped walnuts (a few extra for decorating)
for the cheeky lemon drizzle
3 tbsp lemon juice (which is about 1 large lemon)
5 tbsp icing sugar
8″ round, loose bottomed cake tin – greased/lined
preheat oven to 180oC
1) In a nutri bullet or food processor whizz your gluten free oats until fine and flour like.
2) In a medium bowl pour in the gluten free flour, whizzed gluten free oats and baking powder. Mix with a wooden spoon until everything is evenly dispersed. Set aside.
3) In a large bowl whisk together the butter and sugar for at least 3-4 mins on a high speed until its fluffy and paler in colour. Once done, chuck in your eggs and vanilla extract and beat again until well incorporated.
4) Pour half the ‘flour bowl’ into the large bowl as well as half of the milk. Carefully fold together with a wooden spoon until the mixture has just come together. DO NOT OVER MIX. Repeat with the remaining flour and milk.
5) Chuck in the raspberries and walnuts (saving a few to the side to pop onto the cake once it has baked) and lightly stir with a wooden spoon until they have been evenly dispersed. Pour this mixture into the prepared baking tin and level the top with the back of a spoon. (For a cheeky tip on a perfectly flat topped cake click here and go to number 8) Pop on the middle shelf of a preheated oven for about 45-50 mins.
6) After about 20/25 mins pop a piece of foil over the top of the cake so it still cooks but doesn’t brown too much on top! The cake is done when a skewer inserted comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
7) While the cake is cooling – make the lemon drizzle. Pop the lemon juice and icing sugar in a small bowl and whisk (I used the back of a fork!) until it is smooth. Pour over the Gluten Free Raspberry and Walnut Cake with the remaining raspberries and nuts and consume!
Happy Gluten Free Baking!