By Francesca Baker
Creator of And So She thinks
The Women’s Institute has reputation, somewhat unfounded. For some reason we believe it to be a club for those with blue rinses, who are stuck in an a nostalgic era of bunting and street parties, live on a diet of jams and scones, and dish out judgement to neighbours like they do invitations to next Sunday’s flower arranging competition. But, funnily enough, just the like the rest of the female population, the WI has changed.
Some groups remain true to their roots and can still be found subscribing to the ‘jam and jerusalum’ ways. Others, particularly the newer city clubs, attract a much younger audience, and shun some of the traditions in favour of activities such as burlesque, guerrilla knitting and sushi making. It’s still dance, craft and cooking though. The feminist Shoreditch Sisters refuse to sing Jerusalem.
In 2017 the annual WI Fair is taking place at the gorgeous Alexandra Palace from March 19th – April 1st. And it actually looks like pretty good fun. The four day event covers learning, travel, shopping, craft, creativity and cooking; many of the stalwarts of the modern woman’s life. You can chat politics with Harriet Harman, daunting solo adventures with Stephanie Kitchin, hang out with MrX Stich, discover some of the community activist work taking place, learn how to mix the best gin cocktails, and drink Dragonfly Tea and gluten free cakes to your heart’s delight.
If you’re still not sure whether the WI is for you, as a modern and open minded woman, surely the only rational thing to do would be to check it out.
And thanks to And So She Thinks Those London Chicks are offering a pair of tickets for free! All you have to do is share this article on Facebook or Twitter, and link to Those London Chicks with the hashtag #wifaircomp. We’ll pick a winner from random by 26th March and let you know!
T & Cs
Terms and Conditions:
Terms and Conditions
2. Employees of Those London Chicks Ltd, And So She Thinks Ltd. or their family members or anyone else connected in any way with the competition or helping to set up the competition shall not be permitted to enter the competition.
3. There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this competition.
4. Route to entry for the competition and details of how to enter are available above and available on @LondonChicks Twitter feed.
5. Closing date for entry will be 26.03.2017 After this date no further entries to the competition will be permitted.
6. No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
7. The rules of the competition and the prize for each winner are as follows: Share the above article on Twitter and facebook including the link to Those London Chicks and use the hastag #wifaircomp.
8. The promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside of the promoter’s control. Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible by the promoter.
9. The promoter is not responsible for inaccurate prize details supplied to any entrant by any third party connected with this competition.
10. No cash alternative to the prizes will be offered. The prizes are not transferable. Prizes are subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice.
11. Winners will be chosen at random.
12. The winner will be notified by twitter DM within 28 days of the closing date. If the winner cannot be contacted or do not claim the prize within 14 days of notification, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner.
13. The promoter will contact the winner for address details to send the prize to. Only UK Address’s are permitted for Prizes to be sent to.
14. The promoter’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
15. By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
16. The competition and these terms and conditions will be governed by English law and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England.
17. The winner agrees to the use of his/her name and image in any publicity material. Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current [UK] data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without the entrant’s prior consent.
18. The winner’s name will be available as soon as randomly picked and announced on Twitter and Facebook.
19. Entry into the competition will be deemed as acceptance of these terms and conditions.
20. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, Twitter or any other Social Network. You are providing your information to Those London Chicks Ltd and not to any other party. We will not use or store your information in anyway.
Check out Francesca Baker on Instagram!