This is my “lighter” banana bread. I LOVE banana bread but I’ve come to realise that banana bread is a little like marmite. If you hate it, this recipe probably isn’t meant for you, as I’ve even put whole bits of undisguised banana in it (although my banana hating friend has eaten a slice or two of this…May just be out of polite encouragement though…) On the plus side, you don’t have to feel guilty about having a slice of this with your tea. Bring on a second slice I say!
180g wholemeal flour
60g ground almonds
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 medium eggs
50g honey (plus an extra tablespoon)
5 medium bananas (3 mashed, 2 sliced into 1-2cm rounds)
60g fat free yogurt (I used ‘total’)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Line a loaf tin with baking paper
Preheat the oven to 175oC
1) In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, ground almonds, bi carb, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
2) In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs and honey. Then add the 3 mashed bananas, yogurt and vanilla extract and whisk on a slow speed until everything is combined.
3) Pour half the dry ingredients into the egg mixture and fold with a wooden spoon until just combined, then add the remaining dry ingredients and fold again until just mixed. Do not over mix.
4) Line the bottom of your loaf tin with a layer of one of the sliced bananas, then pour in half the batter. Smooth the top with the back of a spoon and then repeat with another layer of sliced banana (try and get it as even and hole-free as possible, but don’t be too precious, as well covered as possible is fine). Add the remaining batter on top of the sliced banana and smooth the top with the back of a spoon again.
5) Pop on the middle shelf of the oven for 45 mins, or until a skewer or toothpick inserted comes out clean, it will be slightly browned on top. While still warm, drizzle with a tablespoon of honey. Leave to cool in the loaf tin, then turn out onto a wire rack until completely cool.