Jasz Vegas, the gorgeous, multi talented Magician, Burlesque Dancer, Model and Fire Breather, speaks to us at Those London Chicks about all things Jasz, and brand new BBC3 show “Killer Magic”.
• Tell us about where and how you’re passion for Magic started, and how it’s developed into a career?
When I was 12 I had a magic set and I used to put on shows for my family! Performance has always been part of my life and my interest in magic just grew and grew. When I got a bit older I realized that performance and magic were what I wanted to do with my life.
There’s a great quote by Confucius, “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.” This inspired me to follow my passions and turn my dreams into reality.
• Jasz, you’re also a Burlesque Dancer, how did you pursue your interest in this Art form and why did you decide to combine the two?
I remember the first time I saw a burlesque performance and I was captivated. She moved with such confidence and grace, taking the audience on her journey of tease and sensuality. I knew in that moment that burlesque was an art form that I wanted to learn.
I have chosen to mix the two disciplines of magic and burlesque as they are both passions of mine. For me it was natural progression to mix the two to create something new and exciting!
• Who has inspired you along the way and why?
Many people inspire me, both celebrities and people who are in my day to day life. Seeing passion and drive in another person ignites the same excitement within myself. I like to harness this positivity and use it in my work.
Some of my inspirations include David Blaine and Dita Von Teese. I love what they do and the way that they do it.
• We’re used to seeing women as the ‘magicians assistant’ a la Debbie McGee , you’re certainly a far cry from that! How did you find entering a fairly male dominated field?
For me it has never been about gender. I believe the most important thing is that you stay true to yourself and be the best you can be!
• Were there any challenges along the way, and how did you overcome them?
As with any career there will be hurdles along the way and this is all part of the experience. Developing as a performer and taking on new challenges is one of the reasons why I love my career so much!
• You’ve performed your unique mix of Magic and Burlesque at a variety of venues, what has been the most interesting place you’ve performed and why?
The most interesting thing at a performance for me is not the location, but the people I meet and entertain. The reactions from my audience are what makes it so much fun! Every time I do a performance, may it be on a boat or in a grand ballroom, it is different and exciting as I never know who I’m going to meet.
On that note, I once did a performance in Madame Tussauds and the funniest thing happened. I approached a wax model thinking it was a real person! Lol Hopefully no one noticed!
• ‘Killer Magic’, tell us about the format of the show, and what we can expect from you?
In the TV show myself and four other magicians perform tricks based around a theme, then score each other out of 10. Whoever gets the lowest score has to perform a trick or illusion that has either killed or injured magicians in the past. It’s a great show full of banter and tomfoolery and you can expect a healthy dose of mischief and mayhem from me! It will air on BBC Three early 2015.
• Jasz, we at Those London Chicks love your look, who are your style icons and why?
Thank you! I pull inspiration from many people but two of my favorite style icons are Dita Von Teese and Kat Von D. They are my favorites because their style is so true to them and you can see that they are very comfortable in the way that they look.
• What advice would you give to someone who is hoping to break into the business?
My biggest piece of advice is to do what feels right for you. Through out your career you will receive a lot of advice, some of it conflicting, some of it good and some of it bad! Only you will know what advice to take on board and what works for your personality.One of my favorite quotes is
“You can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world, and there’s still going to be somebody who hates peaches.”
Dita Von Teese
Have faith in your self, turn your cants into cans and your dreams into plans!
• What’s next for you?
I am currently working on new acts (both magic and burlesque) and preparing for Killer Magic to air on BBC Three early 2015! Follow me on Twitter and Instagram
for updates on my adventures and shenanigans!